Saturday, March 21, 2009

Turkey Scouting the Woods of Western Montana

First off, I have to say that I have never turkey hunted before and I have never scouted for them before, so I wasn't too sure what to look for. But a few weeks ago I spotted a flock of turkeys on private land, but near some public land that I frequent, so I figured this would be a good starting point for turkey scouting. I was able to head back to this area on Thursday, and do some scouting. I somehow managed to stumble upon what I believe is a roost, right on the border of public and private land.














A few years of fly tying has led me to believe that the feather pictured belongs to a turkey along with these droppings.

The area that I scouted is in a permit only area so if I draw tag here I definitely plan on hunting this area, but I need to scout some over the counter tag areas, just in case my tag drawing doesn't pan out. Just three weeks to till the opener of turkey season!

No comments: